Job Type: Full-Time/Flexible Hours
Location: Open (preference for East Coast location)
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Start Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Instructions: E-mail resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position and experience relating to the responsibilities listed to email@example.com.
ClearWater Initiative is a leading organization with a top staff and great reputation in need of an Executive Director to serve as its leader and oversee all aspects of its programming. The ideal candidate for this position will bring commitment, passion, initiative, and a strong track record of achievement in fundraising and proven organizational ability. This individual must bring a transformative direction to the organization and show exceptional interpersonal skills while being open-minded, patient, diplomatic, outgoing, and conscientious with a good sense of humor. The individual will be expected to quickly assume the leading role for the growing organization. The organization seeks someone who is entrepreneurial with experience in fundraising, management, and building organizations.
- Draft and implement annual strategic plans to help meet the organization’s vision and long-term plans.
- Institute a diversified and aggressive annual fundraising effort.
- Manage the organization, including finances, operations, and program activities in both the U.S. and Africa.
- Set operational plans and oversee staff in both the U.S. and Africa.
- Engage regularly with the Board of Directors regarding strategic matters and be available for Board Meetings as needed.
- Travel, as needed, approximately 10% of the time.
Fundraising and Outreach
- Develop corporate and foundation funding base and other strategic partnerships.
- Increase donor funding base including annual giving programs such as the Federal government’s Combined Federal Campaign.
- Maintain organization’s website and develop social media campaigns and content to support promotional materials including newsletters and the annual report.
- Increase ClearWater’s exposure.
- Work directly with the Board of Directors to devise a strategic plan outlining fundraising/outreach, education, and international program activities.
- Serve as a liaison between donors and the Board to report on program activities and accomplishments.
- Oversee program operations abroad.
- Oversee all office administration functions including financial and legal filings.
- Develop and manage the annual budget, ensuring financial oversight of receipts and expenditures.
- Create an annual work plan in coordination with Ugandan staff.
- Strengthen current accounting processes and enhance the internal reporting structures.
- Maintain donor and contact database.
- Bachelors required, Masters highly preferred.
- Preferred 5+ years professional experience with supervision of staff and volunteers.
- Extensive fundraising experience with institutional donors.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to represent ClearWater at events and meetings with passion and professionalism.
- A self-directed problem-solver with a desire to get things done and robust entrepreneurial spirit.
- Understanding of balance sheets, P&L statements, and experience overseeing budgets.
- Experience working in cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to work autonomously and build infrastructure.
- Experience living in developing country is preferred. Interest and experience in public health, post-conflict resolution, and rural communities is a plus.
- The Executive Director shall carry out all duties in an ethical and professional manner in full compliance with all policies of ClearWater Initiative.
There are no internship opportunities available at this time. Please check back later.
VOLUNTEER WITH US
Our volunteers are the backbone of ClearWater! From DIY volunteer fundraising to joining Team ClearWater, there are many ways you can get involved and help make an impact.
ClearWater Initaitive depends on the generosity of our donors. One of the best ways to show your support for our work is by making a tax-deductible donation.
Join Team ClearWater for a run.
Team ClearWater is a terrific way to reach your fitness goals, fundraise for a cause and connect with other ClearWater supporters. Our races include the DC Army Ten-Miler, the Connecticut Run for the Fallen, and the ING New York City Half Marathon.
Team members receive:
- Virtual training plans and group training runs
- Personalized fundraising page
- Weekly team emails with volunteer fundraising tips, training info, event-weekend updates and fundraiser spotlights
- Team ClearWater performance shirt
- Pre-race coordination assistance with transportation, accommodations and other logistics
- Pre- and post-race Team ClearWater events
To suggest a new race or ask further questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraise for ClearWater with our DIY fundraising program
You can make a direct difference to the people of northern Uganda by personally fundraising for ClearWater Initiative’s projects. All you need is the passion to help provide clean water to those in need, a fundraising goal, a few terrific ideas and a bunch of friends, family and co-workers to help you along the way. We've even profiled some of our top volunteer fundraisers below.
Step 1: Set a fundraising goal
While contributions of any amount make a difference to ClearWater and the people of northern Uganda, fundraising goals are a terrific way to motivate your friends, family and coworkers to support your efforts. ClearWater projects can be supported by fundraising goals of various levels:
- Protected Springs ($3,000)
- Well repair ($3,500)
- Shallow well ($5,500)
- Deep well ($9,000)
Step 2: Brainstorm some fundraising ideas
There are numerous fun ways you can raise funds for ClearWater:
- Email campaign: this is one of the easiest and most effective ways to reach all your friends, family and coworkers at once. Through your Crowdrise page, you can simply send an email to everyone you know, telling them about your connection to ClearWater and the projects that your fundraising goal will support.
- Complete a challenge: running a 10k, triathlon or even a marathon? Connect your challenge to your fundraising and ask your friends and family help you cross the finish line by donating to ClearWater.
- Birthdays, weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs: asking for donations in lieu of gifts for special events is an easy and meaningful way for your friends and family to support your special occasion and your dedication to helping others.
- Throw a party: hosting a clean water-themed party with a suggested donation guide to educate your friends and family on the global water crisis and what ClearWater is doing to alleviate water scarcity in northern Uganda is an effective way to raise funds as well as awareness. We’ll even provide pens and brochures for your event if you drop us a line at email@example.com.
- Memorial gifts: dedicating a gift to ClearWater is a meaningful way for friends and family to honor the memory of a loved one in lieu of flowers, or to mark the anniversary of a loved one’s passing.
- Get creative: there are numerous other ways to fundraise for ClearWater, from bake sales to golf tournaments. Email us your most creative fundraising ideas and we’ll add them to our list.
Step 3: Ask your friends, family, co-workers, anyone to support you, and ClearWater! There are multiple ways to collect your contributions:
- Cash donations: Hosting a fundraising drive at school for students to donate their allowances or cash raised from recycling bottles? Terrific! We suggest that you deposit the funds into a checking account and send one check to us at P.O. Box 1684, New Haven, CT 06507.
- Check donations: You can collect checks from your donors and mail them to us at P.O. Box 1684, New Haven, CT 06507.
- Through our website: You can encourage your supporters to donate to us at www.clearwaterinitiative.org.
- Through Crowdrise.com: ClearWater Initiative has partnered with the personal online fundraising site Crowdrise, enabling our fundraisers to collect and track donations going directly to ClearWater Initiative. Visit www.crowdrise.com to set up your page, and make sure to select ClearWater Initiative as the organization you’re fundraising for!
Step 4: Tell us about your events and efforts!
Our dedicated volunteer fundraisers continually amaze us with their creative ideas and committment to helping others, and we spotlight a fundraiser in each of our newsletters to share your ideas with others. Some of our favorite volunteer fundraising stories include:
- 13-year old William Steinhorn founded the 5k race Running Water as his Bar Mitzvah project to support ClearWater's work in Uganda. Duringtraining, William and his fellow runners raised over $1,500 for ClearWater. 33 people and at least one dog turned out for Running Water on June 9, 2012, in Peapack-Gladstone, New Jersey.
- In June of 2012, volunteer fundraiser Jon Schaefer completed the Rev3 Quassy Half-Ironman in Middlebury, Connecticut. During training, Jon raised a whopping $3,000 from friends, family and co-workers. On race day, he finished the 70-mile course in an impressive 7 hours. Amazing!
- 16-year-old Alberto Mestre ran the Marine Corps 10k in Washington, D.C. in October of 2011, and raised approximately $800 from family and friends in support of ClearWater’s projects. Alberto was introduced to ClearWater through a family friend, and says that he felt immediately drawn to help address such a basic need as clean water. Alberto additionally says, “I chose the MCM 10k because it’s an incredibly inspirational race honoring our military and remembering our fallen heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
- The Water Project, a group of high-school students at Friends Seminary in Manhattan, was created by Talia Hulkower and Eliza Abramson to educate others on the global water crisis and raise funds for water projects. So far, the club has raised over $1,500 for ClearWater’s programs and has educated younger students at Friends on water issues. Talia and Eliza talked with us about their motivation to make a difference, saying “Water is something we all need to survive. To deprive people of water is to deprive them of their most basic human rights.”
- The service club at Kyiv International School in Ukraine began fundraising for and spreading awareness of ClearWater’s activities in December of 2010. By selling drinking water at the school’s international night and other events, and working to educate others on Uganda’s water security issues, the KIS service club has already raised $1,000 in support of ClearWater’s programs. Says the club's leaders, "We are all proud to have taken a part in the contribution towards the improvement of the quality of life in Uganda and our work in this area will continue in the next academic year."
Match your gift
Many employers match gifts that employees make to nonprofit organizations. Check with your employer to see if this is a benefit your company provides.
Spread the word
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Share information about ClearWater with your friends and family
Raise funds while shopping online
- Download the Give Back America toolbar - up to 5% of your purchase comes back to ClearWater
- Use this link to shop on Amazon.com - 3% of your purchase comes back to ClearWater